Resources for schools
The MNCLHD Health Promotion team have developed a range of resources to support schools to share information with their communities about youth vaping. We have also collated a variety of reliable sources of information to enable teachers to get informed, support young people and protect them from vaping.
- Stage 4 Education Resources – The facts about vaping – The resources on this site can be adapted by teachers to suit the needs of their students. Use these resources to plan and deliver PDHPE.
- Stage 5 Reframing Vaping – This webpage provides 6-8 lesson learning sequences focused on debunking the myths and misconceptions students have about vaping.
- Vaping Information Session for Schools – YouTube – This video presents information on vaping including the health risks associated with vaping and resources and strategies to address vaping in schools. It is presented by Population and Community Health, South Eastern Sydney Local Health District.
- Know when you are being played – This video explores the issues of manipulation and the way the Tobacco Industry uses this to recruit new consumers, young people, to their product. The video is also part of a learning package for teachers of students in Years 9-10 to assist High School PDHPE staff to address issues pertaining to ‘choice’ in and around the increasing presence and use of e-cigarettes or vapes by young people. A great resource for parents and young people.
- The facts about vaping – Tobacco and smoking (nsw.gov.au) – On this website you will find a vaping toolkit that has been created to help young people understand what is in a vape. It is a collection of creative assets (including factsheets, social media content and newsletters) you can use at your school with young people 14 to 17 years, and teachers and carers. The vaping toolkit aims to increase awareness around vapes and the health risks of vaping and address the myths and misperceptions about vaping.
- Being Gen Vape – The Behaviour Change Collaborative presents exploratory research into what it’s like for today’s teens to be Gen Vape. Research was conducted with Western Australian teenagers in school years 7 to 12, to help provide an understanding of teen vaping behaviour, informed through their lived experience.
- Being Gen Vape Recommendations for Interventions – This report details the recommendations arising from the Being Gen Vape report, around developing interventions to address youth vaping.
- Guide to Support Young People to Quit e-Cigarettes – Ministry of Health
This guide has been developed to support health professionals and others who work with young people to effectively address e-cigarette use, support young people to manage nicotine withdrawals, and assist young people in quitting e-cigarettes.
- NSW Health e-Cigarette analysis project summary report
NSW Health commissioned the NSW e-cigarette analysis project in collaboration with the University of Wollongong. The project aimed to add to the evidence base and understanding of the nature of e-cigarette devices currently on the market in NSW, to better inform and target awareness campaigns and enforcement activities.
- Insight – Resources – Vape Check – Vape Check is a guided brief intervention designed to help a worker have a conversation with someone who is frequently using unregulated nicotine vapes
- Vaping Lingo Dictionary_5.21_Final.pdf (truthinitiative.org – Guide to language around vapes
- https://positivechoices.org.au/teachers/webinar-generation-vape – Webinar delivered by Positive Choices – “It was just a social thing – now I’m addicted”
- E-cigarettes and Vaping Factsheet by Drug and Alcohol Research and Training (DARTA) – This factsheet from Drug and Alcohol Research and Training Australia informs teachers about vaping safety and the law.
- Electronic Cigarettes and Vaping: Factsheet by Positive Choices – This website provides information about the effects of vaping (immediate and long term), common vaping myths and webinar on what you need to know about vaping. This is a great resource for teachers, parents and young people.
- E-cigarettes and young people RACGP podcast – This podcast provides an opportunity for GPs and other health professionals to learn up-to-date information about vaping in young people and what supports are available to support young people to quit vaping.