Resources for parents and carers
Here’s some reliable information for parents and carers to keep informed and support their children and protect them from vaping.
- Being Gen Vape – The Behaviour Change Collaborative presents exploratory research into what it’s like for today’s teens to be Gen Vape. Research was conducted with Western Australian teenagers in school years 7 to 12, to help provide an understanding of teen vaping behaviour, informed through their lived experience.
- The facts about vaping – Tobacco and smoking (nsw.gov.au) – This website helps to educate parents on what vaping is, provides tips on what parents and carers can do to protect children from vaping and what support is available.
- Guide to Support Young People to Quit e-Cigarettes – Ministry of Health
This guide has been developed to support health professionals and others who work with young people to effectively address e-cigarette use, support young people to manage nicotine withdrawals, and assist young people in quitting e-cigarettes.
- Parents – Talking to young people about vaping factsheet – This factsheet gives parents and carers tips on how to have the conversation with a young person about vaping – from starting with information to focusing on health and explaining your concerns.
- Vaping – what parents and carers need to know recording – Federation of Parents & Citizens Associations NSW (pandc.org.au) – This is a webinar co-hosted by the P&C Federation with NSW Health and the NSW Department of Education to help parents and carers understand more about the facts on the health risks of e-cigarette use (vaping).
- Electronic Cigarettes and Vaping: Factsheet by Positive Choices – This website provides information about the effects of vaping (immediate and long term), common vaping myths and webinar on what you need to know about vaping.
- Know when you are being played – This video explores the issues of manipulation and the way the Tobacco Industry uses this to recruit new consumers, young people, to their product. The video is also part of a learning package for teachers of students in Years 9-10 to assist High School PDHPE staff to address issues pertaining to ‘choice’ in and around the increasing presence and use of e-cigarettes or vapes by young people.
The Mid North Coast Local Health District Health Promotion team has also developed a range of newsletter articles to provide simple and clear information for parents and carers.