Resources for health professionals
Reliable information and emerging evidence in the area of youth vaping for health professionals
- Guide to Support Young People to Quit e-Cigarettes – Ministry of Health
This guide has been developed to support health professionals and others who work with young people to effectively address e-cigarette use, support young people to manage nicotine withdrawals, and assist young people in quitting e-cigarettes.
- E-cigarettes – Health Promotion Tobacco – Dr Lyndon Bauer
This webpage provides information about e-cigarettes (vapes), the harms of vaping, where to report illegal supply of vapes, spot the signs of nicotine addiction and where to find support to quit vaping.
- Being Gen Vape
The Behaviour Change Collaborative presents exploratory research into what it’s like for today’s teens to be Gen Vape. Research was conducted with Western Australian teenagers in school years 7 to 12, to help provide an understanding of teen vaping behaviour, informed through their lived experience.
- Generation Vape Research Snapshot (Cancer Council)
This snapshot provides the findings so far of the Generation Vape campaign which aims to examine awareness, perceptions, attitudes, knowledge and behaviours of e-cigarettes and tobacco use among young people aged between 14 – 24 years, and parents/carers and teachers and principals.
- NSW Health e-Cigarette analysis project summary report
NSW Health commissioned the NSW e-cigarette analysis project in collaboration with the University of Wollongong. The project aimed to add to the evidence base and understanding of the nature of e-cigarette devices currently on the market in NSW, to better inform and target awareness campaigns and enforcement activities.
- Insight – Resources – Vape Check – Vape Check is a guided brief intervention designed to help a worker have a conversation with someone who is frequently using unregulated nicotine vapes
- Vaping Lingo Dictionary_5.21_Final.pdf (truthinitiative.org – Guide to language around vapes
- https://positivechoices.org.au/teachers/webinar-generation-vape – Webinar delivered by Positive Choices – “It was just a social thing – now I’m addicted”
- Electronic cigarettes and health outcomes: systematic review of global evidence
Australian Department of Health. National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, 2018 Canberra: 2022 (Banks E, Yazidjoglou A, Brown S, Nguyen M, Martin M, Beckwith K, Daluwatta A, Campbell S, Joshy G).
- E-cigarettes, smoking and health. A Literature Review Update.
CSIRO, 2018 (Byrne S BE, Williams G, Anastasiou KM, Tonkin A, Battams S and Riley MD)
- A comparison of the caries risk between patients who use vapes or electronic cigarettes and those who do not: A cross-sectional study.
Journal of the American Dental Association, 2022 (Irusa K, Finkelman M, Magnuson B, Donovan T, Eisen S)
Education and training opportunities for health professionals
- Evidence-based approaches to quit nicotine (webinar)
This webinar is presented by Dr Lyndon Bauer and Adjunct Professor Renee Bittoun, and explores the evolving landscape of e-cigarettes (vapes) as well as providing practical tips on managing nicotine addiction.
- E-cigarettes and young people RACGP podcast – This podcast features Associate Professor Becky Freeman, Dr Lyndon Bauer and Director Public Health Programs Ministry of Health Carolyn Murray, and provides an opportunity for GPs and other health professionals to learn up-to-date information about vaping among young people, and what supports are available for young people to quit vaping.