Respecting the Difference
Respecting the Difference: An Aboriginal Cultural Training Framework was launched by the NSW Ministry of Health on 18 November 2011.
The purpose of the MNCLHD Respecting the Difference Cultural Awareness Training is to assist in empowering health staff to deliver respectful, responsive and culturally sensitive services to Aboriginal people, their families and communities.
This combination of eLearning and face-to-face training provides health staff with the education and support to expand their:
- understanding and knowledge of cultures, customs, heritage and protocols in Aboriginal families and communities
- understanding of the diverse culture of our Aboriginal people and communities
- methods to improve communication with Aboriginal people to ensure service accessibility and positive work practices
- knowledge and skills to interact positively with Aboriginal people and communities
- positive and meaningful relationships with Aboriginal patients, clients, visitors and staff
- insight into barriers that prevent Aboriginal people from comfortably engaging with our health service.