Aged Care Services

Elderly couple smiling

Are you wondering if you can get some help with day-to-day tasks around the house? Maybe you need some respite care while your family or carer is away? Or perhaps it’s time to look into aged care homes. There are many services that can help you maintain a good quality of life as you get older.

If you’ve had a look to see what services might be available,  you may want to know more about how to apply and what’s involved in the assessment process.

The first step to access government-funded aged care services is to get assessed. You can apply for an assessment online or you can call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422

Based on the information you give during your call to My Aged Care, you may be referred for a face-to-face assessment, a videoconference assessment or a phone assessment to better understand your support needs.

Assessments are done in person, at your own home. You don’t need to go anywhere. The assessor will call you to arrange a time to visit.

Aged care assessment services

If, from the information you’ve provided during the call, it sounds like you need low-level support to stay independent in your home, the contact centre may recommend a home support assessment with a RAS assessor.

This type of support is provided through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme.

If it sounds like you have care needs that are greater than what the Commonwealth Home Support Programme can support, a comprehensive assessment with an ACAT assessor may be recommended.

The types of care an ACAT can assess you for include: 


Top of page