Maternity Services on the Mid North Coast are offered through Port Macquarie Base Hospital, Kempsey District Hospital, Macksville District Hospital, Coffs Harbour Health Campus. Aboriginal Maternal Infant Health Service (AMIHS). Is also offered across the Mid North Coast area.
For further information for your pregnancy, labour, birth and caring for your baby go to Mothers and Babies Resources.
Services available at these locations
Coffs Harbour Health Campus
345 Pacific Highway
Coffs Harbour NSW 2450
Phone 02 6656 7214
Coffs Maternity Unit provides care for pregnancy, labour and birth, special care nursery and post birth care including home maternity care.
The Pregnancy Care Service can be contacted on 6656 5300 during business hours for appointments and bookings. Women can self-refer to this service or may be referred by a GP for pregnancy care. We encourage women to book their first visit as early as possible, preferably between 10 to 12 weeks.
For women experiencing early pregnancy complications the Early Pregnancy Assessment Service (EPAS) is available to provide care for women up to 20 weeks’ gestation. For further information you can contact the Pregnancy Care Service on 6656 5300 during business hours.
Pregnancy Care open Monday to Saturday with evening clinics till 7.00pm on Monday and Thursday.
Please phone 6656 5300 for an appointment.
119 River Street
Phone 02 6562 6155 or Maternity direct 6562 0300
Inpatient maternity services including antenatal, postnatal and delivery from 36 completed weeks including LUSCS and epidural.
Referral is required – if women wish to have a baby with us they must book in before 14 weeks gestation with a referral from their Doctor. Phone to make an appointment
Wednesday and Thursday
Booking in via Phone.
Classes ceased at present.
Labour and Birth
Continuing to provide labour and birth.
Alternative contact numbers for the Maternity unit:
Phone 6562 0221
Phone 6562 0223
Macksville District Hospital Maternity Services
Macksville Midwifery Group Practice(MGP)
Macksville Health Campus
100 Darruya Road
Phone: 02 6598 3383
Midwives and Obstetricians working in partnership with women offer the opportunity for a woman to experience care by a small team of staff during pregnancy, birth and in the early days following birth.
- Individualised care
- Lactation Consultant available by appointment only
- Low risk pregnancy care with Midwives and active labour and birth support
- Complex pregnancy care with Staff Specialist Obstetrician (and birth at Coffs Harbour Health Campus)
- Water immersion and water birth
- Analgesia (excluding epidural)
- Birth and parenting education by appointment
- Positions of Power- optimal fetal positions information
- New born hearing screening
- Outpatient face-to-face and phone consultations
- Midwifery in the Home (MITH): All women (regardless of place of birth, i.e Macksville or Coffs Harbour) are offered home visits by Midwives for up to 2 weeks postpartum
- Referral Partnerships with Child and Family health and AMIHS (Aboriginal Maternal and Infant Health Service).
The following models of care are available:
- Midwifery Group Practice (Low risk pregnancy care):
Antenatal, labour, birth care with midwives and home visiting by Midwives for up to 6 weeks postpartum
- Maternity Antenatal and Postnatal Service (MAPS) (High-risk Pregnancy Care):
Women with high-risk pregnancies are able to have expert Obstetric care close to home ( at Macksville Health CAMPUS) and will plan to birth at Coffs Harbour Health Campus.
Service specific criteria
- Medicare cardholder
- Once referral is received from women or GP at Macksville, the woman is triaged into the most appropriate model of care. Women with more complex pregnancies will birth at Coffs Harbour Health Campus.
Exclusions for MHC, however these services are provided at CHHC:
- Cervical Ripening (previously called Induction of Labour)
- Premature births
- Vaginal birth after caesarean (VBAC)
- Caesarean sections.
Port Macquarie Base Hospital
Port Macquarie NSW 24500
Phone 02 5524 2000
Maternity 02 5524 2400
Port Macquarie provides antenatal care to all pregnant women please contact the service for clinic times and bookings.
Early Pregnancy Assessment Service
8.30 – 12.30 Monday – Friday. No referral is required for this service.
Home Midwifery Service
Early Discharge Program and a Midwifery Extended Care Program service is offered 6 days a week for women that discharge before 48 hours or may need some extra care particularly breast feeding or babies that may have been admitted to the Special Care Nursery.
The Maternity Unit has 15 antenatal, postnatal and 4 gynaecological beds, 3 birthing rooms, assessment room and 8 special care nursery beds.