GradStart Nursing and Midwifery
Start your career with us.
The Nursing and Midwifery team at Mid North Coast Local Health District (MNCLHD) makes a significant contribution to the health and wellbeing of our diverse community. We are committed to providing culturally safe, high quality, consumer centred care enhancing the human experience of both consumers and caregivers.
Mid North Coast Local Health District (MNCLHD) offers supported transition to professional practice programs for Nursing and Midwifery new graduates through the GradStart recruitment process. Our transition to practice programs provide a dynamic environment of learning and development, offering new graduates the opportunity to consolidate clinical knowledge and skill, whilst growing professionally within an efficient and energetic health care team.
Our programs offers opportunities to work in various MNCLHD facilities and services to support your transition to practice, and meet your unique needs and professional goals. Your new graduate experience will be facilitated through interaction with key support people throughout the program, preparing you for the diverse professional world of nursing and midwifery.
We don’t just offer ‘jobs’, we offer the opportunity to excel in your chosen field while enjoying a work life balance, because we know that makes a difference for our team members. With a culture of collaboration, openness, respect and empowerment we offer a supportive and inclusive work environment and the opportunity to make a positive impact on the delivery and future of regional health.
Here in MNCLHD we value and respect people of all cultures and backgrounds, and are committed to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion. Aboriginal people are encouraged to apply. If you identify as Aboriginal and feel you require further support with your application, please visit the Stepping Up website. For additional information, including our Aboriginal Health Statement of Commitment, please see MNCLHD Aboriginal Health
- Registered nurse and registered midwife programs.
- 12 – 24 month program.
- Full time and part time positions.
- Permanent ongoing employment after completion of new graduate program .
- Practical, comprehensive, extended orientation programs.
- Supported supernumerary days as part of ward orientation.
- Ongoing education supporting clinical skill development through simulation and hands-on training, and career development.
- Supportive learning environment and dedicated education team.
- Access to courses and skills development workshops.
- Specialty and generalist clinical rotations.
- Ongoing support from ward preceptors.
- Unique clinical rotations through a variety of settings and service areas.
- Support and assistance with career planning and career pathways.
- Wellbeing staff services – fitness passport, employee assistance program, onsite wellbeing check-ins, meditation.
- Salary packaging.
- All leave entitlements in accordance with the award.
Clinical Rotation Opportunities
GradStart registered nurse
As part of this program you will have the opportunity to experience different rotations across a variety of services.
- Hastings Macleay Network – Port Macquarie, Kempsey, Wauchope.
- Coffs Clinical Network – Coffs Harbour, Bellingen, Dorrigo MPS, Macksville.
GradStart registered nurse – Mental Health, Alcohol and Other Drugs
Mental Health, Alcohol and Other Drugs offer a 12-month specialty new graduate program with an opportunity to obtain advanced standing in a Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma and Master of Mental Health Nursing degree at Southern Cross University.
- Port Macquarie and Kempsey – MNCLHD – Hastings Macleay Network – Mental Health and Alcohol and Other Drugs Service
- Coffs Harbour Health Campus – MNCLHD – Coffs Harbour Health Campus – Mental Health and Alcohol and Other Drugs Service
GradStart registered midwife
As part of this program you will have the opportunity to experience providing care in all areas of maternity services including antenatal, labour and birth, postnatal and special care nursery.
Read more about MNCLHD midwifery services.
- Port Macquarie – GradStart Midwifery: Hastings Macleay Network
- Coffs Harbour – GradStart Midwifery: Coffs Harbour Health Campus
Opportunities Beyond GradStart Employment
MNCLHD is proud to report that over 90% of new graduates stay within the MNCLHD at the completion of their graduate program. There are a multitude of career opportunities that exist in MNCLHD beyond the graduate year.
Employment opportunities within MNCLHD.
MNCLHD recruits all graduate nurses and midwives through the centralised NSW Health GradStart campaign.
You will need to apply for the NSW Health 2023 GradStart program through the centralised recruitment campaign available on the NSW Health Nursing and Midwifery GradStart website.
Applications for the NSW Health 2023 GradStart recruitment open 9am 22 June and close 4pm 6 July 2022.
The 2023 GradStart Handbook has everything you need to know about the GradStart application and recruitment process. Nominate MNCLHD as your first preference for an opportunity to join our dynamic, skilled and community focused team.
Tips for your application
- Make sure you have a current NSW Working with Children Check for paid work prior to applying.
- Ensure you meet the current NSW Health immunisation requirements.
- Access your university support services to practice interview techniques.
- Reflect on how you demonstrate your capabilities and skills, and discuss these with those who you nominate as a referee.
- Ensure your referees are happy to be nominated and available to be contacted during the recruitment period.
GradStart 2023 Interviews
Gradstart interviews are held by each MNCLHD facility. The location of your interview will be in proximity to the facility nominated as your first preference. Location and details will be informed by COVID-19 activity.
What do our graduate program clinicians say about their experience in the MNCLHD?
I chose to move up here. I love the area and I love the community. I enjoy working with women becoming mothers, and making friendships with colleagues. My educators and the whole team are really supportive
I chose MNCLHD for my GradStart program for the lifestyle and for family. It’s a great family friendly town and there is lots to do for young people too I really enjoy the team I work with as it allows us to work collaboratively to promote optimal woman centered care. The team is also very social, supportive and fun – we are all friends. I felt supported through the supernumerary days, as well as ongoing education. I also feel supported by a collaborative team of midwives and doctors and rostering junior staff with senior staff.
As an Aboriginal woman I felt respected and valued for my role. I feel privileged to pass on my knowledge and experiences and to hear other people’s stories. All the staff are really supportive. I really enjoyed the education, support, friendships and all of the opportunities.
I previously worked in the MNCLHD as an EN. I moved up here for a couple of years and never left! I love the area, and stayed on to do my Graduate RN program. The support given by other staff and the opportunity to grow as a nurse both in skills and in confidence has been amazing. I have grown so much since day one, learning not to doubt myself and focusing on critical thinking. The step up from EN to RN has been an exciting challenge supported by the great team. The staff are so supportive, they always check in on me and offer help or advice. The educators are approachable and always there to guide the way when needed.”
I chose MNCLHD for my Graduate program because it’s a beautiful location. All the placements in the MINCLHD have been really good and supportive. It’s a great learning environment. I feel really supported by the other nursing staff, the educators and the Managers here at Macksville. Two months into the program and I already feel part of the team!
I chose MNCLHD to be close to family and friends. I am really enjoying working as an RN. It’s great being able to by theory into practice and gain new skills in a really supportive environment. The Clinical Nurse Educators are really approachable and supportive, they are always on standby and there is a Grad debrief session every week, they really look after the grads.
I chose to move to MNCLHD for the Grad program. I really liked that it offered 2 different clinical rotations. The educational support and regular in services is fantastic. I am really enjoying learning a lot in a really supportive, helpful and friendly environment. The Clinical Nurse Educators are always checking in with the Grads and offer group debrief sessions with the other grads.
I chose MNCLHD because I had been working as an undergrad AIN in PMBH and really enjoyed it. I was familiar with the environment and the education team and knew they were really supportive. I have really enjoyed being placed in renal. It has allowed me to really expand my knowledge and skills as a registered nurse. It will give me many opportunities in the future. I have felt very supported. The education team and preceptors on the ward have been brilliant!
I chose MNCLHD because of the great location, specialty areas available to practice and the amount of support provided by the facility. The education team is fantastic, it’s a really friendly work environment and I feel I am able to progress my career through further study.
We asked registered nurses and midwives what they had to say about working and living in the Mid North Coast Local Health District footprint. Here is what they had to say:
About the health service
- A great mix of health services and acuity.
- Friendly and supportive work environment.
- Innovative and progressive models of care.
- Highly skilled staff working to the top of their scope.
- Large variety of opportunities available in terms of:
- career progression
- specialty areas e.g. emergency, ICU, renal, perioperative, pediatrics, coronary care unit and cath lab, surgical, stoke, respiratory, palliative, rehabilitation, community
- base hospitals as well as smaller district hospitals, multipurpose facilities and community health services
- Culture of ongoing professional development, with support for scholarship applications and funding grant applications
- Invested and engaged in meaningful research.
- Free parking at most facilities.
About the graduate program
- Feels like a supportive family, you get to know everyone really well.
- All the staff are really willing to help, you feel welcomed and a valued part of the team really quickly.
- Permanent recruitment opportunities.
- Regular weekly debrief sessions.
- Comprehensive orientation days and supernumerary days.
- Ongoing education available such as skills workshops, skill accreditation opportunities and regular in-services.
- Clinical nurse educators dedicated to the graduate program.
- Structured well supported graduate program.
- Allocated facilitators and preceptors for graduate participants.
- Variety of clinical rotation opportunities with excellent exposure to different areas/specialties.
- 1 and 2 year graduate program opportunities.
- Minimum 2 x 6 month rotations.
- New graduates have weekly catchups to check in, get to know each other and support each other.
- Opportunity to try out different departments/units/specialties and hospitals within the network.
About the area
- Close to major cities, about half way between Sydney and Brisbane. Only 3 hours to Newcastle, 4.5 hours to Sydney (from Port Macquarie) and 4 hours to Brisbane (from Coffs Harbour).
- Great public transport service including airports with regular flights, Country Link trains and bus service.
- Perfect place for work-life-balance.
- Beautiful location, stunning coast line and picturesque rolling hills and mountain ranges.
- Fantastic for families as well as great for young singles.
- Very friendly community.
- Lovely and relaxing lifestyle.
- Brilliant warm climate.
- Very “outdoors” culture, lots of activities to do to enjoy the great outdoors
such as hikes, bike tracks, sporting teams and activities, water sports, easy beach walks, camping locations lots of dog friendly beaches and even horse friendly beaches and 4WD beaches.
- Good mix of country/rural living and beach lifestyle.
- Lots a great cafes, restaurants and bars.
- Good school and continuing educations opportunities with public and private schools, universities (Charles Sturt University.
- University of Newcastle and Southern Cross University) and TAFE.
- Plenty of job opportunities for other family members.
- Growing area with increasing infrastructure, schools, shops, parks and entertainment.
Can you picture yourself living and working on the Mid North Coast?
GradStart RN and GradStart RM
Nurse Manager Career Development and Transitional Programs
Mob: 0427 610 513
GradStart RN Mental Health, Alcohol and Other Drugs
Nurse Educator – Mental Health
Phone: 02 6656 7346