There are many programs available to support the health and wellbeing of older people in the Mid North Coast Local Health District, including:
- Quit Smoking provides useful information for older people who are considering or would like to quit smoking.
- Get Healthy Service is a free, confidential telephone-based service which helps people to make positive lifestyle changes to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Risky Drinking which aims to provide education on the effects of excessive drinking such as health, personal and social problems.
- Heart Foundation Walking, Australia’s largest community-based walking network, and it’s free.
- Stepping On, and Other Exercise Programs which provides information and resources to help build confidence and reduce the risk of injurious falls.
- Get Healthy at Work, which helps businesses to develop plans to address health issues within the workplace such as obesity, lack of physical activity and risky drinking.
Information is also available to assist older people in identifying smoke free outdoor areas where they can interact without the risk of inhaling second hand cigarette smoke.
NSW Health’s Smoke Free Health Care Policy aims to reduce the risks to health associated with tobacco use by clients, staff and visitors to NSW Health facilities. The Policy is applicable at all NSW Health facilities, including all hospitals and community health centres in the Mid North Coast Local Health District.