The Early Childhood Oral Health (ECOH) Program is a community-based early intervention program. Oral Health is essential for health and wellbeing and early childhood is the time when most lifetime habits are established. It offers the greatest opportunity for prevention of disease, which, in turn, can contribute to better health in adulthood.
The program encourages child health professionals to regularly check for signs of Early Childhood Caries (ECC) – a preventable and chronic disease – by simply ‘lifting the lip’. To find out more about ECC, you may like to view the ECOH Evaluation, conducted by the NSW Centre for Oral Health Strategy.
Faxed Referrals to the program can be made on this Referral Form.
Child Dental Services are provided to all eligible children under the age of 18. Services are predominantly provided by Oral Health Therapists. There is a strong emphasis in the program of education, promotion and prevention.
There are several services/programs available under the Child Dental Services, including:
- Early Childhood Oral Health
- Health Promotion and Education
- Promotion, Prevention and Education is a key component of the Child Dental Services
- Various programs and promotions are undertaken from each dental clinic
- Paediatric Specialist Oral Services
- Coffs Harbour provides a monthly paediatric service to the MNC on a referral basis. This service is a partnership with the Westmead Centre for Oral Health.
- Orthodontic Services
- Orthodontic services are provided at Coffs Harbour and Kempsey, on an internal referral process. Orthodontic services are limited to severe cases and children on health care card/pension concession cards. Children will only be referred internally for orthodontic treatment from Coffs Harbour and Kempsey Public Dental Clinics.
Eligibility of Children for Oral Health Care Services
For a child or young person to be eligible for free public oral health services they must:
- Normally reside within the boundary of the Mid North Coast Local Health District, and;
- Hold a current Medicare card, and;
- Be less than 18 years of age.
Please note that additional eligibility criteria may apply for some specialist oral health services, such as orthodontic and general anaesthetic services.
General dental care services provided include:
- Emergency care
- Preventative treatments
- Managed care recalls and
- Specialist referrals.
The Oral Health Customer Service Line can be contacted on 1300 65 1 625.
Services available at these locations
Coffs Harbour Health Campus,
345 Pacific Highway
Kempsey Dental Clinic,
Kempsey Health Campus,
Crn River & Polwood Streets
Laurieton Dental Clinic,
Camden Haven Community Health Centre,
Port Macquarie Community Health Campus
Opening hours 8.00am-4.30pm
Wauchope Dental Clinic,
Wauchope District Hospital,
Mon and Wed 8.30am-5pm