Criteria for Referral to the Service
- When there is a disorder which runs in a family and there is concern that a person will themselves either develop the condition or pass on the condition to his/her children
- Where a previous child is affected by a serious problem in growth, development or health
- Where one or more family members have unusual features, a number of different abnormalities or a serious health problem
- Where a woman is in her mid thirties or older and is either planning a pregnancy or is already pregnant
- When intending parents are close relatives
- When an individual or their partner has some concerns about a condition in themselves or their family being passed on to their children
- When a fetal abnormality is detected during pregnancy
- When there is concern about exposure to some chemical or environmental agent which might cause birth defects
- When there is a history of 2 or more miscarriages, a stillbirth or an early infant death
- When a diagnosis is made of a rare disorder and information and support contacts are sought
- When a genetic opinion is sought to assist in making a diagnosis for a child with developmental delay and/or unusual features
- Client is from a high risk population for a genetic/genetically related condition
- Individual or family requires information about, or interpretation of, a genetic test result ie newborn screening result, Down Syndrome risk screen
- Where there is a strong family history of cancer.
All clients attending the genetic clinic are bulk billed, however, there may be some costs for certain tests. All this is fully discussed with each client prior to ordering any tests.
The genetic counsellor will endeavour to supply written information on disorders for client and professional use on request.
Referrals can be made directly to the genetic counsellor or via the intake system at the Community Health Centre. A written referral is not required to see the genetic counsellor. However, a written referral to the clinical geneticist is required for all clients who attend the genetic clinic.
Services available at these locations
Phone 02 6656 7200
Fax 02 6656 7203
Port Macquarie Community Health Campus
19-31 Morton Street
Port Macquarie NSW 2444
Phone 02 6589 2100
Fax 02 6589 2160